Nawabi Tuna Kebab Burger
These hand packed fish patties take the burger up a notch. Flash-fried, they’re still moist inside. Indulge yourself or your guests (Nawabs were Ottoman nobility, after all), and serve them with one or more of your favorite sauces.
4 tablespoons sriracha sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb fresh tuna, salmon, or halibut; skinned, filleted, and cut into cubes
1 shallot, rough chopped
1 garlic clove
1 jalapeño, seeded for less heat and chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon mint leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup unrefined coconut oil (1 inch of oil in your frying pan)
Make ahead: You can refrigerate or freeze uncooked burger patties to defrost, cook, and serve later.
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (for well-done kebabs).
2. Mix the dipping sauce ingredients in a blender and set aside. Check seasoning.
3. In a food processor, pulse fish with fresh ingredients to a rough (ground beef) consistency. Transfer to a glass bowl.
4. Grind the dried spices. Gently stir into the fish mixture and add the beaten egg.
5. Shape the fish mixture into burger-size patties.
6. Heat unrefined coconut oil in a skillet (large enough to hold patties without crowding). You need 1 inch of oil in your frying pan. When oil is shimmering, fry burgers until both sides are golden brown (about two minutes per side).
7. For well-done burgers, finish in the hot oven for about four minutes.
8. Serve hot with dipping sauce and/or any of my other sauces.
Clove: The Spice Wars in the early 1600s were fought over the clove. The oil of clove is a mild analgesic, which also has circulatory and anti-inflammatory benefits, and was the dentist’s drug of choice for pain relief, long before there were drugs to choose from.